Eye Consultants of Kentucky was established in 1973 by the late William N. Offutt, IV, M.D., following two generations of family Ophthalmologists. In 1990, David T. Garrett, M.D. joined Eye Consultants of Kentucky, specializing in Cataract and Glaucoma surgery. Dr. Ryan Smith joined in 2018, and Dr. John Hammer became a valuable addition to our team in 2022. We have been serving the community for over 50 years.
Description of Typical Office Visit
Upon scheduling an appointment with our office, your first visit may include:
- A review of your medical history and previous ocular examinations
- Vision check at distance and/or near
- Eye Movement and peripheral (side) vision check
- Slit Lamp (Microscope) exam
- Pressure Check
- Dilated Eye Exam, including fundus check (retina, optic nerve)
- Eyelid evaluation
- Refraction (test performed to determine your prescription for glasses or contacts)
All new patients to our practice are required dilation, unless medically contraindicated. The dilation may last 4-6 hours and can result in blurry vision. We recommend you have a driver for your first appointment, or if you have never driven with dilated pupils. We will gladly provide you with disposable sunglasses following your exam.